Friday, October 10, 2008

Recipe Friday!


I'll get to the recipe. I thought of this as I was finishing up my post and realized I wanted to share a recipe.

Today, at least at this early hour, it feels like fall. The weather absolutely refuses to cool down. This weekend, it is promised, will be cool. We'll see. AND 'they' say it will be a cold wet winter. Maybe the rest of the country will experience winter. I somehow think we Elsinorians are exempt from most weather reports. They never get us right, never. Well, maybe not never. Whatevah!

My work for some reason has picked up. I'm still chasing rents, the economy is to blame for some of these folks, a few have always been this way. We've got a new listing, a strange piece of property. Up in the hills, 2 bed, 1 bath, no AC, 1 heater panel in the living room. Enclosed patio. Beautiful view of the lake, that's a plus. Small yard with a trough through the middle of it. (for mountain run off) The kitchen is awesome. Small but workable, lots of cupboard space. The counters, the lower half, all metal! Metal drawers, doors, what is that? 30's? 50's? It's really kind of cool. It appears there is some kind of leak, large water stain in the closet. All in all it's not a bad place, it just needs a lot of remodeling. A lot. It'd make a nice rental but then, 1 bathroom.

I'm not hopeful it will sell, ever.

We went to Oak Glen a few weeks ago. Ah, the story, here goes. We had been planning this trip to Oak Glen, which is one of our apple places about 45 minutes from us. Mum's b-day is in September so we try to go every year at that time. It's fall, there's lots of apples, it's nice. I have a headache. Not too bad but enough to make my day miserable. Advil wouldn't take care of it so I asked my mom for a pain pill. Months ago she had given me this pain pill that didn't make me loopy. I forgot what the name of it was but it was great. So I take the pill. An hour later I'm loopy and weird. All day I'm loopy. It's not the same pill, mom. I say. Oh yes, she says, it has to be, it's the only ones I take. When she gets home she spells it out for me. Vicodan! It's Vicodan! I knew it wasn't the same med. Well, at least I wasn't miserable all day. We got a couple of wines for the upcoming holidays, I got a pie bird that looks like apples (very cute) and a bag of apples. I'd been looking for some apple fabric up there but they didn't have any. None. You can get all things apple up there. but this time no apple fabric. (I'm dreaming of an apple quilt)

Mum and Da
Look at that imp! He hates having his picture taken.

And the proverbial apple cart. Look at those mountains! Beautiful! It was such a gorgeous day. Being loopy I just kept saying things like, 'Wow! Look at those mountains! The air is so clear here. Isn't it a beautiful day?! Wow!'
BH bless his heart had to keep me on the beaten track. Help me up the hilly parking lots and keep me from tripping over anything and everything.

And, speaking of quilts,

Taadaa!

Our Christmas log cabin. It's not done yet.

My BFF and I had decided to use up all that Christmas stash we've been hording for years. And years and years. I'd never made a log cabin before. Sad as it's an ancient pattern and beautiful to boot. It's easy, no complicated angles, it can be strip pieced. (I'm a big stripper!)

As easy as it is, and really, just cut strips, many strips, 2 1/2" wide, and sew them together. No, that's it! BFF and I just couldn't get our shit together. We sewed for 4 hours the first day and then I went home and redid everything we sewed that day. We'd get to talking and first thing you know the colors are in the wrong place. You see the lights all go on one side and darks on the other. That's all you need to do.

We're smart women. But it seems as if we cannot sew and talk at the same time.

We also had to keep chasing furry creatures off the quilts. I don't know what it is with quilts but the moment they hit the floor or anywhere for that matter, dogs have gotta lay on it.

I was able to get him off and stay off however he made sure he was touching it, even if it was with his little tiny nose.
'WHAT! You said to stay off the quilt.'

Let's see, what else. Well I went to World Market. It's kind of like Pier I only much much better. They got cookies, candies, teas, coffee's from all over the world. A very nice selection of wines. I got a bottle Three Blind Moose. They also had this adorable selection of Halloween labeled wines. Vampire, Evil, I forget the others. I cannot find a site for them so I'll have to post a picture later. I got the Evil as it was a chardonney. Oh and I got a bottle of Electric Reindeer. Also for the holidays.

And these!
I have never gone down the spice isle. I just didn't know what I was missing. Za'atar blend, poppy seeds, a beautiful fragrant food grade lavender and Herb de Provence. Huge bag of it. nothing over $1.99. I'm sprinkling it over everything right now. Veggies, chicken, quiche even breadsticks. It smells like a little bit of French heaven.

And cooking! Gee willikers I have been a baking fool. I have been hearing about this low carb bake mix for a while now. Called Carbquik. I've been making my own low carb flour mix that will make a decent pancake but that's about as far as it will go. So I broke down and ordered a 5 pound bag. Just to try.

I know but they were out of the 3 pound bags and 1 pound just didn't seem like enough, plus I had to order online and with shipping and I figured, what the heck, how bad can it be, right?

Wowser! It is truly the bomb and I am kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

With a bag of apples from Oak Glen I decided to make apple muffins.

Like the spooky muffin papers? Yes? Cute eh?

These were truly delightful. Truly. Very moist, sweet, tasty and everybit as wonderful as a regular muffin.

Here's the recipe

2 cups Carbquik
2/3 cups 1/2 and 1/2 or milk
1/3 cup Splenda (or AS of your choice)
2 TBS veg oil or melted butter
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup apples

Heat oven to 400*

Blend all ing together, adding apples last. Spoon into 12 muffin cups. (use paper liners or grease tin) Bake 13-18 minutes.



Note to Pug Posse: If you like to bake you should give this stuff a try. It's easy and is not suppose to raise blood sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ya,
So Pugs are no different than cats huh. I can't drop anything, the cats are all over it. Madame likes to make a bed of everything.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to cook with everything rice. I've gotten my hands on rice flour, rice milk and now a substitute for eggs. I will have cake and pancakes soon.

I really miss flour stuff like bread. But cheesecake is my biggest loss. Can't ever eat the stuff again.

Hey do you like scones? I gotta a great recipe for them.

I miss them too.

Warriorwoman

AM said...

I love World Market.

Great work on the quilt! That is very time intensive.

You look a lot like your mom.