Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pfeffernusse

Pfeffernusse, I think means pepper nuts, is a German Cookie. We would always pick these up at the German Store every year for Christmas.

This is one of the first cookies I learned to bake. I forgot to bring my book to work today. I found this recipe online and it is exactly how I remember the one I make.

Pfeffernusse Cookies Recipe

Yield: 3 dozen

½ cup shortening

¾ cup brown sugar (I use white sugar sometimes, same measure)

1 egg

½ cup molasses

3 drops anise oil, mixed with 1 TBS hot water

3 ½ cups flour

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

½ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp cloves

1/2 tsp pepper

powdered sugar for rolling

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix shortening, sugar, egg, molasses and anise mixture. Blend dry ingredients. Mix in gradually with hands. Knead dough until right consistancy for molding. If dough seems too soft, refredgerate until firm. Mold into 3/4" balls, roll in powdered sugar and place on greased baking sheet. (I use silpat or silicone baking sheet) Bake about 12 mins or until golden brown on the bottom. Cookies harden on standing. When firm but still warm, roll in confectioners sugar. Store in airtight container with slice of apple to mellow them.

Makes 8 doz. Note: I traditionally make these just after Thanksgiving. You can store them with either a slice of apple or orange. Change the fruit often. I don't store them with fruit but it sounds good.

NOTE: Anise oil can be found at the pharmacy, so I hear. I've never found it and I use 1/2 tsp of anise flavoring. I've also ground up anise seeds, use the coffee grinder. Use about 1/2 tsp of ground anise seeds.

I have changed my spice mix over the years.

Mix and match your own mix according to your taste

3/4 tsp ground cardamom (this is not always easy to find but I like it when I have it)
3/4 tsp ground allspice
3/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp finely ground white pepper
1/4 tsp ground anise seeds

2 comments:

Punchbugpug said...

I love these cookies!

The Pumpkin Fudge was awesome! I may be a bad taste tester, I love everything!

Priscilla said...

Good! I'm glad you liked the fudge. Fudge is sort of a hard thing to get right and I haven't made it in years. BH loved it so much I had to hide it from him so I'd have some to give away.