
This is Tom the Amazing
I know he doesn't look all that amazing, but he is. I have had Tom for almost 40 years and in that time he has 'ran away' many times. When we found him he had a little hole drilled in his shell by his leg. We soon discovered why. The darn turtle got out all the time. My dad would tie him up with rope and he would break the rope. Then dad got this super rope, with a little wire in it and tied him up with that. It did not take Tom long to pull free of that. While he couldn't break the rope he did manage to pull the little piece of shell with the hole in it completly off. I've kept that little piece because I thought that was so amazing and didn't think anyone would believe me.

Well this weekend was packed with a whole bunch of family troubles and to top it off Tom managed to escape the fenced yard. Now I knew he would so I had some rocks and bricks stacked in the problem areas but he still managed to find a spot under the fence and got out. This is a big problem. Big Hunk lives on 5 acres. With the recent rains we had the weeds are now about 2' high. There are tons of bushy things and rocks and I couldn't imagine how we would find him. Most of the property isn't fenced and even if it was he'd still manage to get out.
So last night we went outside to bring him in. We keep him in a box. He has managed to spoil the copy machine paper box so now we keep him in a plastic tub with a lid. Mostly off, the lid that is. Yes he climbs up like that all by himself and looks at us pitifully. Anyway we go to look for him and he is nowhere to be found. Nowhere! The fenced yard is not all that big even if it was dark. I looked over the entire fencing and found a bent spot where I am sure he escaped from. Off we go, in the dark to look for this dang turtle that looks very much like every rock on the property. We carefuuly looked around the house and in surrounding bushes. Then I took a little hike down the little road to the mail box. No Tom. I decide to try again at day light. Turtles don't move at night and are a little slow in the cool mornings so I think I have a chance to catch him as he is waking up and moving around.
In the morning I do the same walk around the property. Five acres, we're talking 5 acres of trees, bushes, a ton or more of rocks (did I mention that Tom looks like a rock?) and knee high weeds, probably a rattler or 2, a herd of bunnies, oh and I did catch a coyote this morning in the unfenced yard. I decide not to tralala through the weeds and risk disturbing some dangerous creature. I have my phone number painted on the back of his shell. Eventually someone will find him and give me a call. He's done this before so I was not terribly worried. My sweetie was much more upset. They will be disking the fields pretty soon and he was thinking Tom might get chewed up by the equipment. Yikes! I hadn't thought of that! So off he goes once again to make his rounds. I was getting ready for work when Sweetie knocks at the door with a special delivery. Tom! I was so surprised I could barely talk.
So now Tom is in his plastic tub a lot more often than he cares for. I keep telling him that if he wasn't so naughty he could go out and play. I did let him out a little this morning. I need to really shore up the fence so I can let him out more.

Well this weekend was packed with a whole bunch of family troubles and to top it off Tom managed to escape the fenced yard. Now I knew he would so I had some rocks and bricks stacked in the problem areas but he still managed to find a spot under the fence and got out. This is a big problem. Big Hunk lives on 5 acres. With the recent rains we had the weeds are now about 2' high. There are tons of bushy things and rocks and I couldn't imagine how we would find him. Most of the property isn't fenced and even if it was he'd still manage to get out.
So last night we went outside to bring him in. We keep him in a box. He has managed to spoil the copy machine paper box so now we keep him in a plastic tub with a lid. Mostly off, the lid that is. Yes he climbs up like that all by himself and looks at us pitifully. Anyway we go to look for him and he is nowhere to be found. Nowhere! The fenced yard is not all that big even if it was dark. I looked over the entire fencing and found a bent spot where I am sure he escaped from. Off we go, in the dark to look for this dang turtle that looks very much like every rock on the property. We carefuuly looked around the house and in surrounding bushes. Then I took a little hike down the little road to the mail box. No Tom. I decide to try again at day light. Turtles don't move at night and are a little slow in the cool mornings so I think I have a chance to catch him as he is waking up and moving around.
In the morning I do the same walk around the property. Five acres, we're talking 5 acres of trees, bushes, a ton or more of rocks (did I mention that Tom looks like a rock?) and knee high weeds, probably a rattler or 2, a herd of bunnies, oh and I did catch a coyote this morning in the unfenced yard. I decide not to tralala through the weeds and risk disturbing some dangerous creature. I have my phone number painted on the back of his shell. Eventually someone will find him and give me a call. He's done this before so I was not terribly worried. My sweetie was much more upset. They will be disking the fields pretty soon and he was thinking Tom might get chewed up by the equipment. Yikes! I hadn't thought of that! So off he goes once again to make his rounds. I was getting ready for work when Sweetie knocks at the door with a special delivery. Tom! I was so surprised I could barely talk.
So now Tom is in his plastic tub a lot more often than he cares for. I keep telling him that if he wasn't so naughty he could go out and play. I did let him out a little this morning. I need to really shore up the fence so I can let him out more.
3 comments:
That is the best story...how cool to have a turtle and it's that old. I'll have to tell my sister about him and show her his picture. She would love to have a turtle.
The interesting thing is that he has never grown. I found him this size and he's never gotten noticeably bigger.
That crazy turtle, I'g glad you were able to get him back. My aunt has a parrot that is about 40 years old, though I don't think it's ever tried to escape.
Post a Comment